MANY HANDS MAKE A LIGHT LOAD
Saturday, July 19th St. Mary’s School and Christ the King Church in Temple joined the West recovery effort for the third time! Thank you to this devoted group, including many junior high students, who chose to return to West to help complete a project and to see and celebrate the amount of work that has been completed in West. St. Mary’s School and Christ the King Church spent their Saturday painting for a West family.
On Sunday Countryside United Methodist Youth Group, under the direction of Rebecca Nolte, drove more than 9 hours from Topeka, Kansas to join the recovery effort. This group, consisting of 15-17 year olds, have a desire to work in disaster relief. The teens chose to serve in West because they heard about the explosion that occurred a year ago and wanted to help. Countryside is completing interior work on a house which will allow a displaced West family to return to their home. Nolte explains that knowing and seeing that their work will allow a family return to their home is very rewarding for her group. UMCOR case workers have closed 442 cases, but a significant amount of work remains. West needs volunteers of all ages and abilities throughout the summer and fall. Contact Mikayla at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you or your group can volunteer, support volunteers, or donate to the Summer 2014 Volunteer Campaign. God is Good and West is Blessed!
HOW IT WORKS?
- Contact Mikayla by email at email@example.com and let her know you would like to join the Recovery Effort.
- Upon initial contact Mikayla will email you volunteer packet containing all necessary information and forms. These forms can be completed and returned electronically or at check-in.
- Mikayla will assist your group in determining the date and time that works best for your group, assisting in finding lodging, and other arrangements for your group if needed.
- Once West LTRC knows how many individuals are in your group and the type of skills those individuals have or the type of work the group is interested, Construction Manager John Raimer will assign your group a job or multiple jobs.
- Upon arriving in West you will check-in at West LTRC.
- Your job will be ready upon arriving at the job site. John or construction volunteer, Mike Rhodes, will supervise the jobs and Mikayla will work to assist your group throughout your stay in West.
WHERE DO I CHECK-IN?
Monday – Saturday – Check-in will be done at the LONG-TERM RECOVERY CENTER – 510 E. Oak St. West, TX 76691. Hrs: M-F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Sat 9 to Noon (By appointment)
Email Mikayla at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO DO BEFORE I VOLUNTEER?
You can expedite the registration process by filling out the volunteer intake form, and signing the waiver prior to signing in. Email Mikayla at email@example.com to receive the forms by email.